My NFL preview won’t come out until late August, but I took some time to calculate the current numbers for the rosters as they stand. Of note to me:
- The Patriots are monster favorites to win the AFC. Only the Steelers can be considered a credible rival, and the coaching disparity makes it highly unlikely that Pittsburgh knocks off New England.
- The Jets roster really is the worst in the NFL. Well done gents!
- Baltimore’s roster has begun to decay. I wonder how soon they’ll be in rebuilding mode.
- The Texans still desperately need a quarterback if they don’t want to waste their window via their defense. Just going by the rosters it looks like it’s time for Tennessee to surpass them.
- Dallas has the weirdest roster in the NFL. I’ll go into this in more depth in a few months, but they had better stay healthy.
- The Giants have a scary offense… if Eli has time. Cincinnati has a similar situation.
- Pray for the Redskins defense. Ditto for the Lions.
- The Bears are very bad, but just looking at their roster, they aren’t in the Jets/Browns/49ers tier.
- The Packers are going to put a lot of pressure on Rodgers to carry them. Their GM has done an awful job extending his window.
- Imagine if the Falcons had run on second and third down, and kicked a field goal. We could be looking at a potential repeat champion with a loaded roster. Instead we see a team that has gone through an overhaul on the coaching staff, and a team that will be dealing with a SB hangover. Best of luck Falcons.
- All of the confidence on the Saints roster rests on them having an elite offense, just below Atlanta’s.
- Seattle would have led the Talent Wins standings had they signed Kaepernick. Just kidding 😉
|Team||Talent Wins||“Vegas” Wins|
|New England Patriots||10.96||12.31|
|New York Jets||3.19||4.06|
|Kansas City Chiefs||8.24||9.17|
|Los Angeles Chargers||9.32||7.19|
|New York Giants||9.55||8.74|
|Green Bay Packers||8.89||10.18|
|New Orleans Saints||9.96||7.78|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||7.23||8.28|
|San Francisco 49ers||4.14||4.64|
|Los Angeles Rams||6.01||5.43|